Project Esperanza primarily (but by no means exclusively) serves the Haitian refugee and immigrant population of Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic in the areas of education, social aid, and community development.
What do we do?
EDUCATION – Among other efforts, we run two schools specifically designed for Haitian immigrant children in the Dominican Republic.
SOCIAL AID – We provide housing, food, and family structure for a group of vulnerable youth and young adults. We provide aid when needed to families in the communities where we work.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT – In collaboration with two universities, we provide small business grants and loans as well as lead artistic trainings and a pathway to sales.
Some quick stats
years in Puerto Plata
Where We Work
In Puerto Plata, we mainly serve two communities where there are large amounts of Haitian immigrants living, and where we have our schools. The communities are called Muñoz & Padre Granero.
- Read more about the community of Muñoz here.
- Read more about Padre Granero here.
“Collaboration and solidarity”
The organization’s administrators, school staff, and the community members are incredible people, who have significant local knowledge to share.
- Summer Farm Field TripsEach summer since 2011, we run a summer immersion English camp, usually for six weeks. This year, that isn’t possible due to covid-19. Therefore, we have been bussing 10 kids each day to our volunteer house and “educational farm” inContinue reading “Summer Farm Field Trips”
- A Touch on RacismThe United States and other parts of the world have erupted into protests over the issue of racism. The completely unjust killings of Ahmaud Arbery and George Floyd caught on tape and the actions taken by authorities (and lack thereContinue reading “A Touch on Racism”
- Covid-19 UpdateThanks to an awesome outpouring of generosity, in April we were able to provide care packages to 157 families. In May, we provided care packages for 207. We raised over $6,500 in to do this! Packages contained: a carton ofContinue reading “Covid-19 Update”