Project Esperanza primarily (but by no means exclusively) serves the Haitian refugee and immigrant population of Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic in the areas of education, social aid, and community development.
What do we do?
EDUCATION – Among other efforts, we run two schools specifically designed for Haitian immigrant children in the Dominican Republic.
SOCIAL AID – We provide housing, food, and family structure for a group of vulnerable youth and young adults. We provide aid when needed to families in the communities where we work.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT – In collaboration with two universities, we provide small business grants and loans as well as lead artistic trainings and a pathway to sales.
Some quick stats
years in Puerto Plata
Where We Work
In Puerto Plata, we mainly serve two communities where there are large amounts of Haitian immigrants living, and where we have our schools. The communities are called Muñoz & Padre Granero.
- Read more about the community of Muñoz here.
- Read more about Padre Granero here.
“Collaboration and solidarity”
The organization’s administrators, school staff, and the community members are incredible people, who have significant local knowledge to share.
- Challenges with DeportationsOn Monday, many of our students’ parents were afraid to send them to school because Immigration Control was rounding up and deporting many Haitians. Deportations have definitely increased lately. Yesterday morning, Kamryn and I got stuck behind a truck, pictured here.Continue reading “Challenges with Deportations”
- American Airlines Round Trip Flight RaffleThe flight must be within the U.S. mainland. Other restrictions apply. Please see all the restrictions below. At this point, we have two main fundraisers. Both are important and urgent for our school. Click on one or both of theContinue reading “American Airlines Round Trip Flight Raffle”
- Change My Stars English CampIn 2011, we started a summer English camp. 2020 was the first year since then that it did not take place because we did not have volunteers, due to covid-19. This year, we almost had to cancel it as wellContinue reading “Change My Stars English Camp”